ObE was presented as a piece of work for the Society for Arts & Technology (2013) by visual artists Maotik and Fraction alongside Mutek. Mutek is “a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the dissemination and development of digital creativity in sound, music, and audio-visual art. Its mandate is to provide a platform for the most original and visionary artists currently working in their fields, with the intent of providing an outlet of initiation and discovery for the audiences we seek to develop.” (Mutek 2013). The main focus for Mutek is the emphasis on cutting edge music, but also shows the most innovative and experimental audio-visual work available.
The work was performed live at the Societe des Arts Technologiques in Montreal using the facilities Satosphere which is a 360 spherical projection screen. This is 18m diameter by 11.5m high, with a max. of 350 viewers at anyone time. It utilises 8 projectors and 157 speakers (!) to create a fully immersive experience (St-Arnault 2013). The work is a combination of audiovisual art and interactive installation, “This hybrid production plunges the viewer into an auditory, visual journey that is experimental and organic.” (Polop 2014)
The work is 35 minutes long and is performed live. It is created from pre-determined chapters alongside interactive elements. All of the elements come together to create an immersive environment which draws you in to discover that the work is a “living digital organism” (Polop 2014). In the centre of the room are several infrared sensors which the viewer can interact with, much like a Theremin, by moving their hands up and down. This allows the viewer to both construct and deconstruct the work.
- Fraction: Dromos [Online] Available at: <http://fractionmusic.com> [Accessed 22 February 2014]
- Maotik: Maotik [Online] Available at: <http://www.maotik.com> [Accessed 22 February 2014]
- Mutek: About [Online] Available at: <http://www.mutek.org/en/about> [Accessed 21 February 2014]
- Palop, B: Meet ObE, A Living Installation With A Behaviour Problem [Online] Available at: <http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/meet-obe-a-living-installation-with-a-behavior-problem> [Accessed 21 February 2014]
- St-Arnault, L, Societe des Arts Technologiques:Satosphere Available at: <http://sat.qc.ca/en/satosphere> [Accessed 23 February 2014]